Who can participate?
MTW welcomes students from kindergarten through 9th grade. We offer different programs for different age groups:
- Kindergarten-2nd grade — ‘Gotta Sing, Gotta Dance’ program and the summer ‘Introduction to Musical Theatre’ session
- 3rd-5th grade — the ‘Broadway Bound’ program and the summer ‘Theatre Immersion’ session
- 4th-9th grade — the ‘Main Stage’ program, Voice Class (vocal technique for Musical Theatre) and the summer ‘Theatre Immersion’
- 5th-9th grade — the summer ‘Master Class’
Where are the programs held?
During the school year, the after-school rehearsals and classes are held at the Randall Museum. Our Winter performances have been held at The Scottish Rite Center, 2850 19th Avenue.
The summer camp program is held at the First Unitarian Universalist Church, 1187 Franklin (at Geary), San Francisco, 94109.
When are the programs held?
The Gotta Sing, Gotta Dance (K-2nd) program is on Tuesdays from 4-5 or 5-6.
The Broadway Bound (3rd-5th) program is on Mondays from 4 – 5:30.
The Main Stage (4th-9th) program meets on Wednesdays from 3:45-5:15 and Sundays from 12:30-5:30 with some additional rehearsals required.
Why should my student participate in one of these programs?
Your student will have the opportunity to:
- Meet students from other schools.
- Develop an appreciation and understanding of all aspects of musical theatre.
- Expand his/her self-confidence to perform in front of an audience.
- Have fun!!
What Broadway musicals has MTW performed recently?
- Annie – Fall 2017
- Bye Bye Birdie – Spring 2017
- Mary Poppins – Fall 2016
- Wizard of Oz – Spring 2016
- West Side Story – Fall 2015
- Guys and Dolls – Spring 2015
- Thoroughly Modern Millie – Fall 2014
- Legally Blonde – Spring 2014
- Seussical – Fall 2013
- Anything Goes – Spring 2013
- Grease – Fall 2012
How do you select actors for the various roles in the Main Stage productions?
The Directors and students spend the first three weeks of rehearsals learning about the musical, its characters and music while learning to prepare for auditions. Students have the opportunity to review the script and decide what role(s) they wish to pursue. Auditions and callbacks are held after the first three weeks of rehearsals, and everyone is cast in a role.
Do students need to audition before enrolling?
Students do not need to audition before enrolling, but acceptance into the Main Stage Performance Company (Grades 5th through 9th) requires that Student Information Form along with the Registration Form. MTW’s general director will review the submitted form and determine if the student is ready for the Main Stage program or if another program would be more appropriate.
Is Financial Assistance available?
Yes, MTW is committed to providing Financial Assistance and grants it on the basis of need. A Financial Assistance application may be requested by contacting MTW at firstname.lastname@example.org
My child is in the Main Stage program. Why are there two different tuition amounts?
MTW relies both on our paid professional staff – directors, costumers, lighting designers, set designers, musicians and more – as well as on additional volunteers to stage our productions. You can choose to volunteer some time or else pay slightly more in tuition.
How can I get involved?
We welcome parent participation during the season, during productions and for special events. In addition, we welcome your tax-deductible donations. Click here to donate or click here to contact MTW about other ways to participate.